William Shakespeare, the author of Romeo and Juliet, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Julius Caesar, and Hamlet, among countless other great works of literature, is widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language. To celebrate Shakespeare’s birthday on April 23, here are 15 of the best William Shakespeare quotes.
1. “Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them.”―William Shakespeare, Twelfth Night
2. “This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.”
―William Shakespeare, Hamlet
3. “It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves.”―William Shakespeare
4. “The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.”―William Shakespeare, As You Like It
5. “Though she be but little, she is fierce!”―William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night’s Dream
6. “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.”―William Shakespeare, All’s Well That Ends Well
7. “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”―William Shakespeare, Hamlet
8. “Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind, And therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.”―William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night’s Dream
9. “The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.”―William Shakespeare, Julius Caesar
10. “Hell is empty and all the devils are here.”―William Shakespeare, The Tempest
11. “We know what we are, but not what we may be.”―William Shakespeare
12. “Words are easy, like the wind; faithful friends are hard to find.”―William Shakespeare, The Passionate Pilgrim
13. “The course of true love never did run smooth.”―William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night’s Dream
14. “With mirth and laughter let old wrinkles come.”―William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice
15. “Lord, what fools these mortals be!”―William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night’s Dream
Related: Best Gifts For Shakespeare Lovers
Save on books with our weekly book deals.
Receive top book recommendations directly in your inbox.